Quito Pilgrimage: Info & Registration
Pilgrimage to Our Lady of Buen Suceso of the Purification
One of the first considerations most people make when presented with the idea of a pilgrimage to another country is whether or not it is affordable. Cost is probably the most determining factor, even more than work schedules. The logistics of this pilgrimage to Quito, Ecuador were based exactly on this. Depending on the city of origin, the pilgrimage will cost between $1,000 to $1,300 per person including the flight. Each pilgrim buys their own ticket; each pilgrim pays the exact amount of their hotel; and each pilgrim pays their own food costs. This arrangement allows the absolute cheapest price to each pilgrim.
It is to be noted, however, that this pilgrimage is not being operated or organized by a pilgrimage company. The essential structure of a day is organized for the pilgrims; most afternoons allow free time to see and experience various things - free time which has been very much welcomed by pilgrims.
- The pilgrimage corresponds to the novena and feast day of Our Lady of Buen Suceso of the Purification. These days are from January 23 to February 2.
- Our pilgrimage intention is the restoration of Tradition in the Church particularly within the religious communities. We will also include the intentions of the Convent of the Immaculate Conception.
- Each day, there is a dawn procession with a statue of Our Lady of Buen Suceso of the Purification. This procession goes to various religious communities and churches.
- Outings are arranged for the various days of the pilgrimage. Many of these sites will be museums and churches of the old city of Quito.
- Transportation to and from the airport is arranged. The fee for this travel is $10 if there are many; the fee is $25 if you are less than three. This fee is collected on the bus or the vehicle that picks you up.
- Many pilgrims arrive at the same time and we do wait until the bus is full. Do not worry of not knowing where to go. There will be a person there holding a pilgrimage sign or your name on a card.
- We can arrange your hotel reservation (if you so wish) upon reception of deposit amount
- There is a daily outing to various sites/museums in the city center. These are mostly in walking distance. Taxis to these sites would be no more than $3 if you not fit to walk so much. For the museums, the entrance fee is not more than $5. Museum entrance fees will not total more than $35 for the entire pilgrimage.
- On one of the days, we make a trip to the countryside. This is somewhat of a shopping trip to the artisan markets. The bus transportation fee for the day is less than $10.
- On February 2, we have large group dinner. The menu will be distributed in which you can choose your entrée. The dinner is approximately $35 and this will be collected on the days leading up to the feast. This dinner is the only meal with all the pilgrims together.
Proposed Visits and Outings - to be Confirmed
- Church of the Monasterio de Inmaculada Concepcion (Our Lady of Buen Suceso of the Purification)
- San Francisco Church and Museum
- San Augustin Museum
- Santa Catalina Museum
- San Antonio Ibarra (The Artisan City)
- Santo Domingo Church and Tour of Garcia Moreno’s last day
- Carmen Alto Museum
- San Diego Museum – Virgin of Quito, Panecillo
- Basilica of the Sacred Heart
- Santo Domingo Museum
- La Campania
All pilgrims are to purchase their own flights to Quito (UIO). Flights are available with several different airlines. Prices vary according to airlines and departure airports.
To complete the full novena, arrival date is January 23. These flights arrive close to midnight. This means if you plan on waking up for the procession the morning of the 24th, plan on only a few hours of sleep. Some arrive on the 22nd to avoid this great lack of sleep.
- Delta: travel through Atlanta and arrive in Quito at 11.13pm
- American Airlines: travel through Miami and arrive at 7.43pm or 9.53pm.
- Jet Blue: travel through Fort Lauderdale and arrive at 11.36pm
- United: travel through Houston (some connect through Panama City as a second stop) and arrive at 12.35am
- Aeromexico and Avianca: also fly to Quito from select cities and connect through Mexico City or Bogota.
- Tame: fly direct to Quito from larger airports.
To reserve your spot or request further information please email [email protected]
The pilgrimage coordinator will contact you for details regarding payment.