An apostolate of the SSPX open to lay people in order to pray for the sanctification of the priests and the vocations.
The Prayer Crusade for Priests is a work of the Society of St. Pius X in the United States for the sanctification and perseverance of priests and for priestly vocations. It is composed of lay Catholics, banded together in a united effort of prayer and penance for priests.
So as to make Jesus Christ reign in the world, there is nothing as necessary as the sanctity of the clergy, because by example, by word, and by knowledge, they guide the faithful…” St. Pius X
What do "Crusaders" Actually Do?
Basically, to pray for priests, their spiritual and physical welfare, perseverance in their vocation, protection from harm and scandal, graces necessary to become as holy as possible, and the ability to penetrate and sanctify the hearts of their faithful.
It seems to me that spending our whole lives in prayer for the defenders of the Church, for the preachers and the learned men who fight for Her, we would come as much as is in our power to the aid of their Adorable Master so unworthily persecuted.” St. Teresa of Avila
What Are the Obligations?
There are five obligations, four daily and one monthly.
- The Daily Oblation of the Prayer Crusade (see below);
- The General Prayer, called the Prayer for Priests, which is said for all priests in general (see below);
- The Particular Prayer, which is said for the particular priest for whom you will be assigned to pray. The priest will not know who you are (and it is to be kept a secret), although you will know his name. This Particular Prayer can be any kind of prayer, the Rosary, or whatever strikes the fancy of your devotion;
- Daily, you will be obliged to pray one decade of the Rosary for priestly and religious vocations (this can be simply an intention added to a Rosary you are already accustomed to say). This decade (or Rosary) is to be followed by the Invocation (see below);
- The First Thursday Holy Hour is to be kept each month. This Holy Hour may be made either at home or at Church. If time is scarce, it may be broken into two half-hour segments. The Crusader will keep a Holy Hour with the intentions of:
- Sanctification of the clergy and religious;
- Increase of religious and priestly vocations.
These obligations do not oblige under pain of sin.
Who Can Join the Prayer Crusade for Priests?
Anyone can join, although in large families only the parents need to be enrolled. Children simply follow along with the devotion of the parents and pray for the same priest. However, if young persons want to be enrolled separately, they must be willing to fulfill all the obligations of their own accord.
How to Join?
- You are required to first submit the Membership Form information to the Regina Cœli House for enrollment. There are no fees or dues, but you are welcome to make donations to help with costs at any time.
- To say the Consecration Prayer in a Church where the Blessed Sacrament is present (if this is impossible, then pray it at home).
- To fulfill the obligations of the Prayer Crusade.
When your membership form has been received, we will send you a little prayerbook called "Prayers for Priests."
What if a Member Wishes to Leave the Crusade?
Members are joined to the Prayer Crusade only by a pledge whereby they promise to fulfill certain obligations. There is no obligation as to length of membership. If someone wishes to be released from their promise, they need only to contact the Guardian of the Prayer Crusade and notify them that they wish to be released. Former members are most welcome to re-join any time; they need only to repeat the membership steps.
This is the Membership Pledge by which one becomes a Crusader. This Consecration Prayer is prayed only once, although it can be renewed any time, especially on the anniversary of engagement. It is to be prayed in a Church where the Blessed Sacrament is kept in reserve (if this is impossible, it is well to pray it at home).
Almighty God, in union with the sacrifice of Our Lord Jesus Christ on Calvary, and in union with the most Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, I, (name___), consecrate to Thee and resign into the hands of Thy Mother, my life and my death as a sacrifice of love for the sanctification and fidelity of Thy priests. To this end, O Almighty God, I beg Thee to grant me the grace of perseverance until death. I promise to fulfill to the best of my ability the obligations of the Prayer Crusade for Priests. Let me love Thee, O God and serve Thee faithfully all the days of my life. Amen.
This is your daily prayer to unite yourself with promises of the Prayer Crusade.
O Jesus, humbled in the Eucharist to be the source and center of charity of the Catholic Church and the strength of souls, I offer Thee my prayers, my actions, my sufferings in behalf of Thy Priests, to the end that each day may behold the wider extension of the Kingdom of Thy Sacred Heart.
+ Imprimatur: Francis Cardinal Spellman, Archbishop of New York, 1951
Prayer for Priests
This prayer is for all priests in general in all the world including the Holy Father.
O Jesus, Eternal High Priest, Good Shepherd, Font of life, Who by a special favor of Thy most tender Heart hast given to us our Priests, in order to accomplish in us those holy ideals with which Thy grace inspires our hearts, let Thy mercy, we beseech Thee, come to the aid of our Priests. Grant them, O Jesus, lively faith in their works, unshakable hope in their trials and fervent charity in their intentions. May Thy word, radiant with eternal wisdom, become through continual meditation the never failing nourishment of their interior life; may the examples of Thy life and Passion be renewed in their conduct and sufferings, for our instruction and as a light and consolation in our sorrows. Grant, O Lord, that our priests, free from all earthly attachments and solicitous for Thy glory alone, may persevere to their last breath in the fulfillment of duty and in purity of conscience. And when in death they deliver into Thy hands a task well done, may they have in Thee, Lord Jesus, their Master on earth, the eternal reward of the crown of justice in the glory of the saints. Amen.
+ Imprimatur: Francis Cardinal Spellman, Archbishop of New York, 1951
This short litany is to follow your daily decade of Rosary.
O Lord, grant us priests (repeat).
O Lord, grant us holy priests (repeat).
O Lord, grant us many holy priests (repeat).
O Lord, grant us many holy religious vocations (repeat).
Saint Pius X, pray for us.
If you wish to enroll the Prayer Crusade for Priests, please send a card with the following information and text with signature.
- Street Address;
- State and Zip Code;
- Phone Number.
I have decided to join the Prayer Crusade for Priests. I understand the importance of the Priesthood for the Catholic Church, and I am willing to accomplish the obligations of the Prayer Crusade. I have already made the Pledge (by praying the Consecration Prayer) committing myself to the obligations of the Prayer Crusade for Priests. (Date and Signature).
Prayer Crusade for Priests
Regina Cœli House
11485 N. Farley Rd
Platte City, MO 64079