Should Popes John Paul II and John XXIII be declared saints? We offer a list of articles that examine this important question.
Many Catholics are expressing concerns and even doubts about the announced canonizations of Popes John Paul II and John XXIII to take place on Sunday, April 27th.
These questions have come about due to the unprecedented haste in the procedural examinations of John Paul II's and John XXIII's cases, especially the reduction of miracles required (let alone that the veracity of these miracles are being called into question). Another critique raised is the scandals that occurred under his pontificate, especially what Pope John Paul II himself declared as a "silent apostasy".
Indeed, similar problems have existed with many of the post-conciliar beatifications and canonizations (primarily through the redefinition of "heroic virtue"), which the Society of St. Pius X has been warning Catholics about for decades. To this end, we have published below a list of the various articles that we offer on this topic here are SSPX.ORG.
Problems with post-conciliar canonizations and beatifications
- These two are not like the others
- Canonizations not always infallible?
- Canonization doubts for John XXIII & John Paul II
- Canonization (The Angelus)
- Doubt and confusion about new canonizations
- Beatification and canonization since Vatican II
- Problematic canonizations & beatifications
- On the canonizations of Pope John Paul II
Pope John Paul II
- Santo subito: Is there a problem?
- Doubts of the SSPX about beatifying Pope John Paul II
- A dilemma: canonizing Pope John Paul II
- Beatifying John Paul II: restoring or opening up?
- The Remnant's statement of reservations on beatifying John Paul II
- Benedict XVI's homily for beatifying John Paul II
- About beatification of John Paul II (May 2011 District Superior's Letter)
Pope Paul VI
- A happy devil's advocate looks at the beatification process of Pope Paul VI
- Can Paul VI be beatified?
- 50 years ago: Pope Paul VI’s election
- Pope Paul VI’s involvement with Communist progress
- Beatification and continuity
Pope John XXIII